Friday, March 6, 2009

Mom's Banana Bread

I LOVE this recipe, always comes out so good. When we buy bananas, I don't eat them after they start getting the spots on them....so I save them for this recipe. Just made this last night. This is not my mom's recipe, it's actually called Mom's Banana Bread in my Cooking Light cookbook. That's right, it's light! So that means you can eat several pieces, right? Stephen and I can't stay out of it!

1 Cup sugar
1/4 cup light butter, softened
3 ripe bananas
1/4 cup fat-free milk
1/4 c low-fat sour cream (I always use the fat-free)
2 large egg whites
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
walnuts/pecans - optional (I always add nuts. I never measure them, just pour them in)
cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350. beat the butter and sugar at medium speed until well-blended. Add banana, milk, egg whites, and sour cream. In another bowl, combine flour, salt and baking soda. Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture and beat until blended. At this point, add in some nuts if you want to.

Spoon mixture into about 5 mini-loaf pans coated with cooking spray (the recipe actually says 4 (5 x 2 1/2 inch pans) but there is always enough to make a 5th. Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

To make one 9 inch loaf, spoon batter in a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan and bake at 350 for about 1 hour and 10 min. I've tried the big loaf, and I just like the mini loaves better. It didn't seem like the big loaf cooked as well for me, but I'm always afraid of over cooking or burning it.

4 servings per (mini) loaf, serving size 1 slice:
147 calories
2.2 g fat
2.5 g protein
30.2 g carbs
1.1 g fiber

No comments:

Post a Comment